Friday 20 April 2012

James Heath 1953-55

Hi,
  I am [was!] 22818557 Jim Heath.I joined Junior Leaders at No 4 training Regiment Gibralter Barracks in August 1953,There only were about 30 of us.I remember NAAFI breaks were held between our barrack blocks. A tea urn was put on a trestle table and sandwiches were dished out.
We wore denims which on the most part were torn,that had come from National Service Sappers.
          I was in Trumpet Troop under Trumpet Major Hardaway.
Each Tuesday evening dressed in 'blues', we [about 6-8 of us] marched up to the Officers Mess and played a couple of fanfares.
We were split into 1st,2nd and 3rd harmonies.each evening at the Guard mounting by National Service bods ,one of us with our cavalry trumpets would be on the end of the piquet line and play Last Post.We slept in the Guard House in what ever cell was empty.Reveille was played round the Barrack blocks to get the Nat.ervice rookies up.During the day various calls were played i.e. post call,mess call etc.
          Names I remember were Boy SSM Murray Peterson,Boy Sgt Green[a tall lanky boy],and Harry Streeter.One of our Officers was Lt.Peter Morrison.He also ran Outward Bound courses.Also another lad called 'chesty' Kerr.
         We eventually moved to the wooden huts at Malta Barracks.I left in 1956 to join the 'man's' army.I must say I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the Boys' plus my posting to Hong Kong and Iserlohn/Paderborn in Germany.I finished in 1962 .Now I have made contact with you-what happens next? It would be nice to be in contact with others from the same period.
                                        best wishes,Jim

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jim thanks for joining the blog its early days yet hoping to find more of the lads from this time,I ran the Canoe club with Sgt Bean down in Malta Bks when we moved down.I left Boys Sqn in 1955 to cove then to Marchwood 17 port Regt RE became a diver,in 1957 got fed up sitting on my backside volunteered for active service and posted to 11 Independent field Sqn in Malaya for the best three years of my time in the sappers.came back in 1960 as training NCO at Cove two years took plant course posted to 30 field sqn in Germany on plant left army in 1964.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 22974603 steve hardwick at boys from 9feb1955 57 was in 39 fd sqd boar incharge of plant sect left from chatham 61166 reguards to any one who knew me steve61139'gmail;com;

    ReplyDelete
  3. 22974603 steve hardwick at boys from 9feb1955 57 was in 39 fd sqd boar incharge of plant sect left from chatham 61166 reguards to any one who knew me steve61139'gmail;com;

    ReplyDelete